I Don’t Understand – Getting Employees Onboard

Young man with doesn't know gesture

What happens when employees don’t understand?

What is the hardest part of implementing new processes in your business? For most companies, it is learning the new process and actually getting people to do things differently?

Michael Hammer, the business-process-reengineering guru, stated “The hard stuff is the soft stuff.” What he was alluding to is the “soft stuff” is our people – working with their emotions, beliefs, and getting through their heads why we are making changes.

Do you agree that getting the “soft stuff” right is sometimes very difficult (hard) to do? If not then stop reading this post is not for you.

There are three things that your employees will probably never tell you:

• That they do not understand what you are asking of them.
  • They are afraid of changes.
  • They don’t see an answer to their WIIFM (What’s In It For Me?) questions they have.

These employee secrets can absolutely kill your company.

Let’s look further into the first issue, lack of understanding.

There’s a famous phrase credited to Woolsey and Swanson that goes something like this: “People would rather put up with a problem they cannot solve than accept a solution they do not understand.” People would rather keep doing things the way they have always done them, and beat their heads against the wall, than to do something differently or accept a solution they do not understand. It’s incumbent on us to think through how to help people understand changes. A fundamental technique is to ask them to repeat back to you what it is you said, and I hope you try to use this one as often as possible.

Here is a four-step approach to use in a group setting.

1. Share the basic proposal and information (The What, How, Why) verbally. Use visual aids. Keep this short.
  2. Ask the group to write down a summary of the important points.
  3. Break the larger groups into smaller groups of 2-4 people and have them discuss what they wrote down.
  4. Have several of the groups share their version of what you presented.

If they repeat exactly what you were looking for, that is a home run. If not, you have more work to do.

Take the extra time to make your ideas more visual.

In a lot of organizations, large and small, we rely heavily on on-the-job training to learn a new skill. The training is often verbal, and it flashes by very quickly, with almost nothing visual to reinforce what it is we are looking for. Here we can use what is called standard visual work – creating visual images, step-by-step instructions, or accompanying screen shots and photographs.

Creating what is called The Visual Workplace.

You physically move equipment, desks, people’s work areas and the stuff they work with, redesigning the workplace so that tasks can only be done in one physical way. Your people will have to physically do business in a new and different way. Playing a little bit off of Hammerism, this would be a form of the hard stuff, or physical infrastructure, driving the soft stuff. If you physically transform the workplace so that people have to do things in a new and different way, it is very difficult to resist doing so, and difficult not to understand what you are looking for.

Help people learn,

Understand and remember what you want, which is to make learning and understanding a part of job descriptions and performance appraisals. This takes a lot of the burden off you. Make it your employees’ responsibility to make sure they understand what you want, to request clarification until they do understand, and to make it clear to you that they understand. They need to be able to articulate this understanding to you day-by-day. It’s a condition of their employment.

Lastly, sometimes you just have to ask questions.

Do the communicating and wait a reasonable period of time. Then go back and ask questions about what people got out of that communication, and whether or not they understood what it is you were talking about?

If you would like more information on to be more efficient and effective with your employees, contact a senior consultant with Ember Carriers at (513) 984-9333 for a no cost, no obligation strategy session to discuss your company’s needs.

Web: www.embercarriers.com|Facebook: www.facebook.com/EmberCarriers

Twitter: www.twitter.com/embercarriers|LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/mhladio

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

28 Responses to “I Don’t Understand – Getting Employees Onboard”

1. basin says:

I relish, result in I found exactly what I was looking for. You have ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

2. Maximo says:

Actually when someone doesn’t know afterward its up to other
    viewers that they will assist, so here it occurs.

3. Although at first glance it seems like it would be one of the simpler aspects of setting up a website, choosing and purchasing a domain name can actually be one of the trickier parts of the process.

4. Delbert says:

Finally i quit my regular job, now i earn a lot of
    money on-line you should try too, just search in google – slabs roulette system

5. amazon.com says:

What a data of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable experience regarding unexpected feelings.

6. go here for the greatest bad credit lender anywhere

7. Denti Latina says:

Grazie mille, avevo bisogno di saperlo. siete stupendi

8. Dennis says:

Alan,Well I had a chance to read your book on the way home from Cali on the apalirne. If your Website was an employee would you fire it. I thought it was very helpful and enjoyable. It made me think and realize alot of important factors I am missing or what I would do to change. I would highly recommend this book. For those that think there website is perfect then they need to buy this book. I did. I can tell you that Alan Berg hit every point and question I had brought to attention was answered in his book. All I can say is buy it!!! I can’t wait to see Alan speak again at MBA in October. Thank you Alan for taking the time and speaking to me at WEVA. You are an inspiration and you gave me hope on change. I will be contacting you to go over my areas on a private level.Rich StecklerInfinity Films

9. carinsurance says:

I had no idea how to approach this before-now I’m locked and loaded.

10. I have been reading out some of your posts and i must say pretty good stuff. I will definitely bookmark your site.

11. Nowoczesne sztachety

I Don’t Understand – Getting Employees Onboard | Ember Carriers Blog

12. I was just searching for this information for some time. After 6 hours of continuous Googleing, at last I got it in your site. I wonder what is the lack of Google strategy that do not rank this kind of informative sites in top of the list. Generally the top web sites are full of garbage.

13. Getting goods in large volumes may seem bad and sometimes even daunting during the
    time of the sale.

14. The idea of a patchwork of all the covers is great but I think that Cretu need to add more pages to the booklet to make more watchable the covers, otherwise the final image will appear like a puzzle of colors without meaning. I still think that there are more genial artworks in the gallery which Cretu overlooked.

15. Gratulerer så masse til vinneren! Er det lov å lure på hva premien er, eller er det en overraskelse til vinneren kanskje??Klem fra Ena

16. amazon enclosure drive hard external

17. Elliot Morna says:

aerial photography

18. Gay Broner says:

roof repair plano

19. click says:

Riaz (apply) is the most essential part of taking part in tabla or any musical artwork. Be on guard towards mirrored light that bounces off water and other shiny surfaces on the brightest times, as well.

20. ATTENTION ! L’allergie au Gluten n’existe pas.On parle d’intolérance au gluten (la molécule n’est pas tolérée par l’organisme d’un point de vue intestinal).On peut en revanche être allergique aux protéines de blé ce qui est totalement différent au niveau des symptômes (eczema, oedème, asthme…).

21. wireless routers are very necessary nowadays because we do not want so many wires running around the home,.

22. cordek.com says:

I dugg some of you post as I cogitated they were invaluable extremely helpful

23. agen qq says:

domino 99

I Don

24. Domain Murah says:

After looking over a handful of the blog articles on your web site, I truly appreciate your way of writing a blog.
    I book marked it to my bookmark webpage list and will be checking back soon.
    Please check out my website as well and tell me your opinion.

25. Бездепозитные бонусы за регистрацию лицензионных… Всем давно известно,что многие онлайн казино для привлечения игроков предоставляют бездепозитные бонусы новым игрокам,при помощи которого игроки могут протестировать игры и слоты представленные в их казино .

26. qiuqiu99 says:

Hey there! This is kind of off topic but I need some
    guidance from an established blog. Is it hard to set up your own blog?
    I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast.
    I’m thinking about making my own but I’m not sure where to
    start. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Thank you